Washington DC is the capital of the United States of America. Sounds impressive? Visit Delhi and you will know how far from the truth you are! While we are taking nothing away from Washington, we still feel our heart skips a beat each time Delhi is mentioned in a conversation. It is said that the people who stay in Delhi are big of heart and love living life to its fullest. Going by the amazing social culture in the city, it is no wonder that people who stay there are so jovial and energetic at all times!
What’s the Gung-ho About?
- There are plenty of events in Delhi that take place all around the year. Marriages and other family occasions attract visits from relatives from all parts of the world to make it one big, noise reunion of friends and family members. While the men sneak in a peg or two of the finest whiskey, ladies enjoy their gossip session.
- Youngsters have plenty to do in the city too! There are the authentic dhabas that serve mouth-watering dishes at all times of the day and night. Pubs and lounges are aplenty in the city. Be ready to treat your ears with hip-shaking Bollywood tunes being played loudly in ones such lounge while you can also enjoy heavy metal rock in another pub.
- As it is the nation’s capital, each festival is celebrated with great pomp, show and noise in Delhi. Starting from Makar Sankranthi to Diwali, each festival is celebrated with loud music, lots of colours and social gatherings of people from all over the country. Lohri, Holi, Eid, the holy month of Ramzan, Janmashtami and Navaratri are times when the entire city is decked with lights, colours and flowers and you can smell various dishes being cooked in every galli of the city.
- Food lovers swear by the channa batura of Delhi. This is one city that proudly celebrates its street food culture as much as its niche five star restaurant trend, quite similar to the city of Mumbai. Chaache de hatti, alu tikki at Pitampura, kachoras and samosas at Gole Market, delicious non-vegetarian rolls in the Defence Colony Market, chaats at Dilli Haat and patties in CP – we bet you are drooling at least a little bit after reading this lip-smacking list, all in the yummy city of Delhi!
- Those who love shopping will fall in love with this city for its amazing flea as well as niche markets. Colourful traditional clothes, footwear, accessories and jewellery for women and children and cool gadgets are just some of the things popular in Delhi. So visit Dilli Haat, Janpath, the Tibetan market, Paharganj, Chandni Chowk, Sarojini Nagar, the Central Market at Lajpat Nagar and Khan Market to feast your eyes and empty your wallets. Tourists have plenty to choose from and native ladies have plenty to haggle over – there’s something for every shopping lover on these streets!
A visit to the colourful capital of India can be fun as well as awe-inspiring. Be sure to add it to your travel list if you’ve never been here and visit it again if you already have, just to enjoy its sheer liveliness!
About the author – The author is a keen traveller and likes writing about the attractions of every city he visits. He is one of the popular bloggers at eventshigh.