Top 5 Tips for Renovating your Bedroom
If you have just bought a new home or are thinking of revamping the one you have been living in for some years, you may be thinking of renovating your bedroom. You may need to change the flooring. These days you can do it yourself, unless, of course you want a solid wood floor. It’s best to get a professional to do the job if you do, unless, of course, you are very skilled.
These days there are many choices of hardwood engineered floors to choose from. For a bedroom that you wish were brighter, choose a light-coloured flooring (think ash rather than dark oak). To an untrained eye the new generation hardwood engineered floors look like the real thing. There are some cheap quality engineered wood products, so you don’t have to spend a fortune to get your bedroom floor done. If you are going to cover the floor with a carpet, the cheaper options maybe ideal for your purposes.
5 top tips for making your bedroom brighter
- Is your bedroom too dark? If it is, you could change the lighting to make it brighter. As well as this, you can paint it white, or another light colour; consider primrose yellow or very pale blue for the walls. Remember that if you think the colour doesn’t work for you, you can always paint over it and it won’t have cost you a fortune. Alternatively, choose a plain, light-coloured wallpaper. Have curtains or blinds that match the walls. Don’t be tempted to contrast light-coloured walls with dark curtains or heavy drapes.
- Put any mirrors you have, dressing table mirror or full-length mirrors, opposite the window so that they reflect the natural light. You may even want to have a huge mirror on the ceiling or along one wall.
- What decorations do you want? Choose decorations for your bedroom carefully. For example, you may love Old Masters and have reproductions, but these are usually dark and won’t help the lighting situation in your bedroom. Consider some modern prints, for example of Greek Cycladic island houses which are whitewashed and have pale blue shutters. If you visit Greece for your holidays, you can pick up some cheap prints in the many tourist shops on the mainland or islands.
- LED lights are brighter than traditional tungsten ones and some carefully chosen lamp stands or wall fittings can enhance your bedroom and provide more light fairly cheaply. Although LED lightbulbs are more expensive, they last longer than the traditional ones. Install wall lighting to complement the overhead lights. The other good thing about LED lighting is that you are unlikely to suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
- Think about the bedroom furniture, light rather than dark, and the same goes for the bed linen. Remember that you usually don’t wear your outdoor shoes in your bedroom, so you could, if you wanted too, have a light-coloured carpet on the floor.
If you follow these tips, you will have a much brighter bedroom. It will be darker at night when the lights are off, so you should be able to sleep well. You don’t have to live in an all-white room to have a bedroom which is light.