What Is Training On Forklift All About?
As said “Knowledge is Power”, same is the case while operating a forklift. Forklift training importance cannot be stressed more. If you are not having a certified and trained operator, then your business will get affected in many ways. First thing accident, damage of property, insurance cost and some other factors are the bad things that can put negative impact on the safety of worker and your business.
The situations that come across without forklift certification are:-
- Property and Resources
If you have a trained operator then there is less chance to damage your company equipment. It not only helps ROI but it also promotes safer workplace for employees.
- Legal Factors
When your forklift convoy causes any accident that is not certified properly then your business is subjected to pay for it including additional medical expense, fines, funeral cost, settlement out of court and other costs.
- Maintenance Cost
As the accidents will automatically increase the insurance premium of equipment thus forklift certification is a very crucial factor to limit other worthy expenses.
- Confidence Factor
If your worker has forklift certification he will enjoy the work more with confidence. Ultimately it will help in increased productivity, stress less and reduced chance of accidents. The operator who has taken comprehensive training program knows very well that many companies will come behind him.
- Increased Productivity
A qualified training means your driver can able to work more in less time. Less instruction will make indecisions and later that makes unproductive workers.
The OSHA training certification has stated that there is a statistical decrease in accidents and product damages over the past few years, therefore operator are aware of how forklift equipments work and its physics of moving or lifting product and other materials. The business that are providing safety training and maintenance program has benefit from forklift increased proficiency, clean operation, increased life of equipment and less cost for down time. Such practices will decrease the probability of injuries to forklift operator and damages of equipment and property.
When you observe an operator working on forklift equipment then ask him:
- Is he is wearing seat belt?
- Is he drives in safe speed?
- Does he sound horn by approaching blind spots or aisle ends or backing up?
- Is the load he is transporting is 6 to 10 inch off the floor?
- Is the visibility of driver blocked?
- When load blocks visibility does the operator use spotter?
The company which does not put emphasizes on safety and training programs on their operators can be easily identified by these quick observations.
To improve workers safety and performance, you must:-
- The management must follow the concept of safe operation. Generally employees will reflect their management’s attitude against safety.
- Implementation of OSHA approved Safety Training Program is needed. Good programs will include regulations of OSHA and a concept for the operator to understand the need for safely utilization of equipment.
- A knowledgeable person must handle the training of an operator. Generally new drivers with initial training session will not know operating an automobile properly. The training must be completed for specific amount of period with trained operator by observing and with instructions. First allow the operator to handle materials equipments not under any pressure to observe the racking of product or unloading trailer.
- One thing you must make sure is whether the equipment that handles material will do its job safely and properly. Equipments must be serviced, maintained and cleaned correctly.
- Proper forklift training will help the operator to perform routine maintenance works before shifts as per OSHA.