Strange Facts About Your Pets
Whether cats, dogs, horses or any other animal, we all love our pets! But sometimes they can be a little stranger than you first think. Here are some of our favourite strange facts about your beloved best friends!
- A dog’s only sweat glands can be found between their paw pads.
- Cats can’t taste sugar. Scientists believe that a mutation in one of the key taste receptors of cats is to blame for this anomaly.
- Just like the human fingerprint, the ridged pattern on a cat’s nose is unique to each cat.
- Dogs can see in colour. Contrary to popular belief that dogs can only see in black and white they actually have two cones in their eyes that can detect colours on a blue and yellow scale. They are, however missing the third cone that the human eye contains allowing us to differentiate between red and green.
- Cats sleep so much that by the time a cat is 9 years old, it will only have been awake for around three years of its life.
- Dalmatian’s are born spotless with their spots only developing as they age.
- Cats have over 100 speaking sounds whilst dogs only have around 10.
- In order to survive, every bird must eat at least half of its own weight in food each day.
- Bigger parrots such as macaws and cockatoos can live past seventy five years old.
- Iguanas can hold their breath for up to thirty minutes at a time.
- Most hamsters only blink one eye at a time.
- A goldfish can live up to 40 years.
- Frogs breathe through their nostrils, but also absorb over half of the air they need through their skin.
- Frogs can see ahead of them, above them and to the sides of them at all times. They also never close their eyes, even when they sleep!
- Rats laugh when tickled.
- Before the chicks hatch, they are able to communicate with each other and their mother by making a series of sounds whilst still inside the egg.
- Just like humans, goats have regional accents.
- Horses like sweet flavours and will usually reject anything sour or bitter.
- A horse’s teeth will never stop growing.
- Horses have 16 muscles in each ear meaning they can rotate their ears 180 degrees.
Do you have some strange facts about your pet?