Damaged hot tubs often end up in landfills. However, you can utilise them to make garden ponds. Adding plants and landscaping materials, the pond can appear as natural as a garden pond by using hard pond liner. Transforming your non-functional hot tub from World of Spas Calgary to a pond will need a huge hole to house the spa, so before breaking out your shovels, just make sure to hire utility locator services to help you mark underground utility lines.
Things You Will Need
- Blocks, rocks or sandbags
- Digging tools
- Garden hose
- Landscaping spray paint
- Masonry sand
- Pond filter and pump
- Pond plants
- Rubber pond liner
- Scrub brush
- Using a diluted solution of 9 parts water and 1 part bleach, thoroughly scrub the spa. After which, rinse the spa to take away any remaining bleach residue.
- Position the spa inverted on the ground where you want to place the pond. Using a landscaping spray paint, trace the edges of the spa all over, creating marks that are a foot around the edges of the spa.
- Use the sprayed lines as a guide to dig a hole that will be enough for the spa. The hole must be a foot deeper than the depth of the spa so its lips will rest at the level of the ground when it’s placed in the hole. This work will be much easier using heavy machinery. However, you can also dig the hole by yourself with the use of a shovel and other tools.
- At the bottom of the hole, line with 12 inch course masonry sand to offer a good bed with sufficient drainage to maintain the spa.
- Place the spa in the hole. To fill the 12-inch gap all over the sides, use clean soil to pack the edges. To avoid any damages to the spa, make sure to remove rocks and debris before putting it in the hole.
- You can place sandbags, blocks, and rocks in the spa if you want, to build shelves for plant support or to adjust the water depth of the pond.
- Place a rubber pond liner in the spa, pressing it to form the sides of the spa and any object you put in the spa. Make sure to leave a minimum of 12 inches of liner that overlaps the pond’s edges; the other material lies on the ground over the pond.
- To help hide the pond liner, use natural stones placed around the edges of the pond. The stones can be placed on the lip of the spa to conceal its edges.
- Fill up the pond with clean water up to its edge. Attach a submersible pond water filter and pump, with the pump submerged in the water to clean and circulate the water. Pond plants can be submerged underwater placing the pots on the shelves that you made beneath the liner.
So, if you have hot tubs Calgary at home that you aren’t using anymore, why not transform it into a pond? A well-decorated pond is certain to enhance the look of your garden.